Friday 11 February 2011

Inspiration Friday: I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want.








Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington in Vogue Italia, March 1994 (Picture 1); Kate Moss in Vogue UK, January 1993 (Picture 3); Clueless, 1995 (Picture 4) ; Naomi Campbell in American Harper's Bazaar, February 1997 (Picture 5). All others from Weheartit.com or general googling. 


A recent urge I have had to wear brown eyeshadow, neutrals and crop tops all the time, and an afternoon of dancing around my bedroom listening to still fabulous Spice Girls songs are responsible for my nineties themed Inspiration Friday.
The nineties are my favourite decade in fashion history, the age of grunge, straighteners and too much denim. They were a fun, albeit sometimes cringe-worthy, time in fashion and saw the rise of the supermodel. I have, of course, included Kate, Naomi, Christy and Linda, all looking nostalgically smooth-skined and fresh-faced.
I also have a lot of personal memories of being a little kid in the nineties, from stick-on earrings which I wore religiously, to my favourite special edition barbie which I was given as a present. I chopped off her tiara with scissors because I couldn't understand why it would be attached. And last, but certainly not least, the Spice Girls. Spice World was my first ever cassette and those five girls became my very first definition of the word "cool". They played a big part in my developing interest in fashion as I was girlishly in awe of their confidence in what they wore, despite the fact that, looking back, they fairly closely resembled strippers. They were mind-blowing and melodramatic and I loved them with all my 5-year-old heart.


P.s. I know I skipped last friday, but I have since come to the conclusion that two Inspiration Fridays per month is more realistic and far less dull.



No comments:

Post a Comment