Tuesday 1 February 2011

Photographer Spotlight: Elle Muliarchyk








Elle Muliarchyk is a Belarus-born model turned fashion photographer now based in New York and, her spellbinding work aside, I am completely enchanted by her story.
It begins as a traditional rags-to-riches tale - growing up in Belarus and Vietnam, Muliarchyk had only two outifts, one for cold weather and one for hot. She moved to Prague, California, and then New York where she was, in true Cinderella fashion, scouted in Manhattan by Patrick Demarchelier at only sixteen years old. She describes fashion at this time as "alien" to her, having already given her mother's fur coats to the Salvation Army without a second thought.
But this all changed when she began her project "Guerilla Dressing Room" in 2006 (seen in pictures 1, 4 and 5). Muliarchyk felt that her creativity was limited in her work as a model as so began sneaking into designer boutique changing rooms, often in the middle of the night, and taking self portraits surrounded by elaborate set ups and wearing the most beautiful and expensive outfits. She was arrested and kicked out numerous times and I'm going to unashamedly say that is the coolest most imaginative thing I've ever heard. She has done many more recent and equally as bewitching projects which I could talk about for days, but I will try to keep this short and sweet. 


"I didn’t break the ties, I just took on a secret identity. And I would switch it whenever it suits me, kinda like Superman."


She seems utterly insane and that is exactly why I have fallen for her, head over heels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment