Thursday 2 June 2011

Is it time to go home yet? I keep clicking these damn shoes, but nothing happens.



Velvet wedges, Michael Van Der Ham for Topshop; dress, charity shop (altered by me).


Once again, my posting has been sporadic recently, and once again, I'm sorry. Keep your fingers crossed that my unpredictable blogging motivation lasts this time!

Yesterday, these beautiful creations arrived, and I felt that they deserved a post all of their own. If you have been reading I'm Stealing The Thunder for some time, you'll know that I have a little problem with shoes. It has been a while since this post, and since then the situation has worsened, the collection grown. I continually convince myself that one more pair can't hurt. And hurt this pair certainly did not, both literally and figuratively.

For those that haven't heard, Topshop flagship stores in London and New York, and also topshop.com, have opened "Secret Stores" for a limited time. These pop-up stores sell hand-crafted, limited edition pieces - the products of collaborations with prolific New York and London designers, as well as items from the Topshop Unique archives and limited edition Topshop Boutique. I visited Oxford Street this week and loved the atmosphere of the miniature store, the door to which was hidden behind a colourful florist curated by Meadham Kirchhoff. Inside the little room the lights were dimmed and the interior had a gypsy-ish vibe to it, but of course the first things to draw my attention were the stunning velvet wedges - the love-children of Topshop and Michael Van Der Ham. I refused to stop stroking them (the velvet is so soft) whilst I struggled with the inner turmoil of really, really wanting them and really, really not being able to afford them. As difficult as it was, I walked away.

That is until I got home and they still had my size on the website.
I borrowed the money and bought them before I had time to think. It seems my passion for beautiful shoes overrides all common sense. I am now in debt, and blissfully happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment